Laptops for loan
Wireless-enabled laptops are available for loan from the Ask Me Desk in Te Puna, Building 1 library and Waitākere library. As well as MS Office, they have access to the Internet, Moodle and the Unitec network and printer.
Laptops are available at these locations during library opening hours. Check the library website hours page. The laptops loaning period closes half hour before library closes.
- Laptops cannot be booked in advance – they are issued on a first come first served basis.
- We do not issue multiple laptops to one person.
- Laptops must be returned within 4 hours of time of loan or by the end time specified above - whichever is earlier.
- If laptops are returned late they will accrue a fine of 50 cents per hour.
- If a laptop is damaged or not returned, the borrower will be charged a replacement fee of $1000.
- If you have library fines/fees owing of over $5 or Unitec fines/fees owing you cannot borrow a laptop. (Library fines must be paid at a Library, not the Hub Learning Commons.)
Computers for student use
Networked computers are available for student use in each library and Te Puna. As well as MS Office, they have access to the Internet, Moodle, the Unitec network and printers. You will be required to log in using your network logon.
All computers and laptops owned by Unitec come loaded with commonly used applications. Requests for additional software to be added can be made by completing the Software Request form. These requests need to be received several months before the beginning of each semester.
NOTE: For free software downloads to computers/laptops owned by you – see Office 365 for students. For software on staff computers/laptops, use the Software Request form on IMS Self Service.
Endnote: Unitec currently uses EndNote X7 which is installed on all student PCs. Copies of the programs for PCs and MACs can be borrowed from all library branches for use with your own computers. Unitec staff computers must have a job logged with IMS for installation. See the Endnote libguide.
SPSS: This software is available to students and staff. See the SPSS libguide for information about downloading this application, and obtaining your personal authorization code from library staff.
Unitec provides some computer training on various systems. Unitec Ask IMS run orientation sessions introducing Unitec systems, plus check out QuickStart their online guide. Free training on Microsoft Word or other common software applications can be found online or via free4U or FreeB. For technical help see our frequently asked questions (FAQs) and help pages, or contact Ask IMS.
Get started with Microsoft Office 2010 and learn the essentials with this free Microsoft online training.